The Singapore Motor Workshop Association (SMWA), was incorporated in 1972 with the initial five main objectives, namely:
- To promote friendly relationships among its members
- To study commercial situation and to promote business progression
- To support local education, charities and welfare work
- To mediate in settling differences, strengthen the unity among members and jointly plan for the members
- To elevate the standard of technical skills thereby maintaining prestige of the profession
SMWA is the only trade Association representing the car repair industry in Singapore and has earned recognition with close working relationships with various government agencies including Land Transport Authority (LTA), Housing and Development Board (HDB), Jurong Town Corporation (JTC), High Court, Spring Singapore and other Associations, such as Automobile Association, Consumers Association and Singapore Chinese Chamber of commerce.
SMWA is working very closely with Institute of Technical Education (ITE), in providing internship and apprenticeship programmes by matching their students, who doing their NITEC in Automotive Technology course, to our members.
SMWA hope to do their part in retaining more ITE graduates to join the automotive industry upon completion of their courses so as to help ease the labour crunch in the industry.
SMWA is also advocating skills development and training to meet the ever-evolving technology standard in the automotive arena.